Saturday, April 28, 2007

One week later

This is a fairly newish blog, so I don't feel particularly obligated to keep up with it.

I do intend to blog as much as possible about the Yankees, but life interferes sometimes.

In the last week, I went to the beach with my children and had a pretty difficult week workwise. Plus, I was not particularly in the mood to write (both because of the sucky Yankees play and generally).

In any case, by now it's fairly well known that the Yankees lost 7 straight, but finally beat the Red Sox today (3-1) to break that losing streak.

There's not much I can add to the hundreds of thousands of words that have been written about the Yankee skid, other than to say that it was one of those perfect storm situations where the starters are injured or can't pitch deep enough, the bullpen did its part except for one member who was gased (or in case of Mariano's BS of last Friday, rusty) and the hitters suddenly decided to pretty much go cold at the same time.

I can't help but notice, however, that A-Rod has absolutely disappeared from the Yankee headlines. That tells me that A-Rod earned some brownie points with his great batting in the frist 3 weeks of the season (he has been somewhat cold of late) and that he wasn't seen as the problem.

If there was ever a silver lining to a 7-game losing streak is that A-Rod is not news.

Other than that, you have to feel for Jeff Karstens. As I posted on Pete Abraham's Lohud blog ( http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/04/28/karstens-fractured-fibula/#comments ), I liked the kid last year and was rooting for him this year.

He's still young, and hopefully he will be able to come back this year and reclaim his career.

Tomorrow, Chien-Ming Wang will have a chance to show why he was a Cy Young runner-up last year (and frankly, Wang pitched solidly against TB last week).

If the Yankees win 2 out of 3 against the BoSox, they will have cut Boston's lead back to a manageable 4 1/2 games. But more importantly, they will have built some momentum for the forthcoming weeks.

P.S. To add a new wrinkle to this blog, I'm thinking of doing entries in English and in Spanish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home